Friday, September 21, 2007

Taxing the Aliens

Maybe Korea has it figured out. Maybe not.

I was informed yesterday that my boss had paid my residents fee. At first I didn't know what they were talking about. Apparently Korea charges everybody living in the country a yearly fee. I thought that is what taxes were for (which I do pay). It is an interesting concept. Taxes aren't very high but they find other ways of collecting.

For example: Garbage collection services are free...but the mandatory regulation garbage bags are a dollar each.

After they gave me my receipt for my residents fee, I actually felt kinda special that they would splurge and spend $4 on their favorite teacher.

This will be my last post for several days because I'm off to Beijing. What weekend plans do you have?

Happy Chuseok everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car, in case the need should arise for them to bark violently at nothing right in your ear.

Ever consider what dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from the grocery store with the most amazing haul: chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth.