Thursday, August 16, 2007

Month of Reading

I can't really explain it but August is the month I always catch up on reading. It isn't that I've been inundated with free time...it is more than I go on several months of minimal reading and decide it is time to get back into this favorite pastime.

I finally finished reading Devil in the White City. This historical fiction follows two story lines as they intertwine at the Chicago World Fair. Definitely a good read for all you history buffs out there.

Of course, I read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I feel a sense of finality and conclusion now that JK has finished the series. I loved all seven of the books. Things didn't turn out quite like I expected (JK was brutal in the killing of characters...bad and good).

I read The Rule of Four. As far as grail mysteries go it was just so-so. But it was a fast read and I didn't have to think to much to digest the book.

I just finished Mirror, Mirror. Gregory Maguire's best book is Confessions of an Ugly Step-Sister but Mirror, Mirror becomes second in my opinion pushing Wicked into third place. The book gives the back story to the Snow White fairy tale making the Disney version ridiculously childish. Maguire is a little bit sex driven in his writing but if you skim over the lewd parts, it really is a good book.

Finally, I just started reading The Aquariums of Pyongyang. It is the memoirs of a refugee from North Korea.

I think my reading selections are quite diverse. Eclectic tastes. What have you been reading lately?

No comments: