Monday, August 20, 2007

The Spice of Life

The pepper, not originally native to Korea, has been integrated into nearly every aspect of the Korean culinary palette. Hardly any dish is reserve from some influence of this spicy treat.

The history of kimchi was drastically altered by this crimson vegetable. Suffices to say, Koreans are hot for them.

The time has come to harvest this year's crop and the sun-dry method preserves them the best...apparently. The sidewalks and parking lots of our apartment complex have been littered with the peppers the past couple of days. The mats help absorb and reflect the sun to ensure faster drying.
Space is a valuable commodity in Korea and people will dry their peppers almost anywhere. I guess I am surprised they tolerate this monopoly of common areas even if only for a day or two. I am surprised they are trusting enough to leave the peppers in public, open to thievery or vandalism. Although...who'd want to steal peppers? So, how do you spice up your life?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, since I am caught up on your Korea (and Malaysia) activities... now you are wanting interactive participation...jeez, what are you a teacher or something...to spice up my life?? Call my wife and tell her I won a trip somewhere and then call her back and tell her I was j/k. Of course all that does is force me into actually having to go to that location. Hey, you asked the question!

Anonymous said...

All I know is that those pepers you have your pictures of are expensive in MT. We bought a pound from a roadside stand while in California for $3.00. In Missoula the other day I saw them for $21.50/pound. Some cost of transportation there.

Anonymous said...

37 years ago they still dried the peppers on the streets, but there were no side walks, so they always hung them from the sides of the buildings.

WF said...

Matt, At least you got a trip to Hawaii with that little stunt.

WF said...

Ben, Transportation costs is right! I think $18 might be a little bit steep of a mark up.

WF said...

Dad, I'm so proud of you. Leaving comments on blogs. Pretty soon you'll be writing you own computer code!

Anonymous said...

I know this comment is a little late, but...

I forgot you weren't around for the drying of the peppers last year. When is your contract up again? Joe and I are probably coming back to Korea very soon.

I spice up my life by...uh...I don't really spice up my life. Never mind.

Anonymous said...

Red peppers is the game. After buying a pepper plant that was suppose to be sweet green, I wondered why it was not growing tall. Well finally the little long peppers came on.. Craig had a bonanza of red peppers and I guess he didn't know what to do with them so mom got them and she dislikes them so maybe dad will some how inherit them...