Saturday, August 11, 2007

Musee d'Orsay

Stupid Tourist Saturday!

With so much going on lately (vacation, summer school, new teachers arriving) I feel that I've neglected my beloved traditions. Time to make up for the neglect.
We decided to eat Italian in Insadong and then make our way to the Seoul Arts Center (located off the Nambu Bus Terminal station on the Orange Subway line) to view the Musee d'Orsay exhibit.Koreans really have a thing for French art. I never had a chance to visit the Musee d'Orsay when I was in Paris so I'm really glad the exhibition came. It runs through September 2 if you are in the Seoul area and want to check it out.

The exhibit showcased some very famous paintings from some very famous artists. Even with my limited art history background I recognized half of the artists and about a third of the paintings. Beraud, Degas, Manet, Monet, Renoir, Tissot, Van Gogh, etc.
Some of the highlights of the exhibit were: The Bed Chamber of Van Gogh (La Chambre de Van Gogh)or The Piper (Le Fifre) by Manet.I also really liked Une Soiree by Beraudand La Charette by Monet.

We weren't allowed to take pictures inside the exhibit (although I admittedly snapped a shot or two while the guards had their backs turned). I had a good laugh just outside the exhibit with all the Koreans taking pictures of the posters in the gift shop. So, I queued up and took some pictures for myself.
After the museum, we bought some of the latest movies at Yongsan and then went to dinner in Itaewon at Aussie place called Syd 'n Mels.

No comments: