Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Immortalized

The renovations are complete at KC. It looks atrocious. There is no common color theme and everything is too loud, stylistically speaking. It looks like eight different decorators had a fight and whoever got to a specific wall first got to do what they wanted. The classrooms are very green. The hallways have obnoxious educational posters with a Plexiglas covering. Colors include every hue of the rainbow and the wallpaper patterns...It looks like Mrs. Lee said "I'll take one of everything."The one nice thing is that the walls are now clean. There are no scuff marks, holes, or other eye sores. In addition, any spaces of large open wall were quickly filled with life sized pictures of 'great teaching moments'. A photographer came in a couple weeks ago to pose and capture these teaching moments and the pictures were quickly turned into over sized wallpaper.I've seen these types of murals before in other places and I always wondered who the schmucks were that posed for them. Turns out, I'm the schmuck. This is the first time the school has been renovated since opening nearly a decade ago so I have a feeling my ugly mug will be up on the wall for at least that long. They also made a banner for each of the school buses with our pictures on them. Not only do we get to see our likenesses on a daily basis but so does the rest of Gimpo now. How did I get so lucky?

How have you been immortalized?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're being a little too hard on the new face lift for the school. I think it looks "O.K." for kids of that age. Little kids like a lot of clutter, & the different colors probably keep them more alert (yea, I know the world doesn't need more lerts). Anyway, having a lot of different colors & a lot of pictures seems to be a common theme for pre-school, day care & other areas (hospital settings) for very young children.

Anonymous said...

We have the Christmas tree ready to go, & we're going to wrap packages tomorrow.

Unknown said...

I would just like to make a comment on your blog. I really like it! It is very honest and refreshing and beautifuly laid out. I especially love seeing the pictures. Do you take them all yourself and what kind of camera do you use? I spent over ten years living in Korea and speak Korean fluently. Always makes me happy to see the little Korean kids. They are really cute and as you know full of energy!

WF said...

Thanks Dave, the blog is a good way for me to document for myself but also share with friends and family. I'm also glad others are interested. I take 98% of the pictures myself. (I'll admit I've borrowed some without proper crediting.) I am currently using a Pentax Optio 7.1 Megapixel that my parents purchased for me. It is small enough to be a point and shot but high tech to have a variety of professional settings. Thanks for reading.