Wednesday, March 07, 2007

New School Year

This week marked the start of the new school year (March to March). What that means for us is that every class has been rearranged and all of the teachers switched.

I'm not entirely sure of the logic in all of this because I don't know my new students, I don't know what to teach, and I don't know when and where I'm supposed to go. All the other teachers are in the same boat as me and this week has been a challenge.

Consequently, I have learned some key lessons:

#1 Turn off that little part of your brain that deals with logic and rationale. It is much easier to accept change. Most of the changes have seemed completely illogical and irrational but who knows. Maybe there is a grand scheme.

#2 Flexibility at work is best if your are a contortionist. I enjoy learning what I am supposed to teach 10 minutes after class has begun. I enjoy teaching from the hip and not having any materials. BUT...I prefer to have a plan so I can be prepared with the appropriate materials.

#3 Find strength in numbers. None of the teachers understand the new system. None of the students understand the new system. I guess we can all learn together.

There is a glimmer of hope as the new class arrangements are supposed to be specialized. In theory we can concentrate on reading, writing or conversation in each class and all of the students will actually be at the same proficiency level....in theory. We'll see if it works.

No comments: