Sunday, January 07, 2007

Skype

Because of my purchase of a headset from the Yongsan Electronics Market, I was finally able to set up my Skype account. This could be the best thing since sliced bread!

Skype is a peer-to-peer voice over IP network. Basically, it means you can talk online to anyone in the world who has a Skype account for free. My primary use of it will be to call people back home which is incredibly cheap compared to the alternatives of cell phone calls, calling cards or direct dialing from landlines. For a mere 21 Won per minute (approximately 2 cents U.S.) I can talk to anyone in the States on their cell or landlines.

I've used the service twice so far with just a slight delay in the connection. The people on the other end said my voice was deep and robotic sounding but that might just be the fact that I'm still trying to beat this cold that has kept my vocal cords hoarse.

Anybody who already has a Skype account, let me know what your username is. I'll give you a call.

1 comment:

Ms Smack said...

I agree! I set it up some time ago and love it too!

What a great way to save money dialling overseas friends.