Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Korean Grandmothers

I was called out of class today and into the principals office. One of my new students' grandmothers was there and she wanted to wish me luck and bestow good health on me.

She had given a bottle of pure Korea red ginseng extract to the principal and had one prepped and ready for me. It was explained to me that this was a very expensive health remedy and I was able to show my appreciation for her thoughtfulness and concern. Apparently, it is really good for your health but you need to get past the taste. What!?! It had possible side effects!?!

I downed the tiny bottle of herbal good health and turned my puckered face from the bitter taste into a smile of gratitude.

We were still in the office talking and before I could defend myself, the grandmother lunged at me and shoved a pill into my mouth. I could only assume it was another natural health booster. Apparently, I'm not allowed to feed myself. She had a huge smile on her face as if she had single-handedly prevented any future illness that I might have contracted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been enjoying you blog. It is tought to get to everyday, so I am catching up now. I wish I could have seen the look on your face. Paula